Owning rats, or as some say, being owned by rats, is a journey. For me it began with being intensely rat-phobic to where I am now, rat-obsessed (ok, i admit it).

 




A rat by any other name...


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Well, I'm in the middle of a hellish move and really shouldn't be blogging. However something kinda funny happened during the process. We were going over disclosure papers with our realtor V., who is an animal lover and has met the rats.

One of the disclosure questions is "Are there, or have there been any pets at this location? If yes, how many and what type?" So, I didn't really know what to write, knowing how wierd and prejudiced people are about rats and I put "Yes, two mixed-breed dogs and 9 small caged pocket pets." V. got to that part and understood why I was evasive, but she said she thought it might raise a red flag that I used a euphemistic term like pocket pets. So she's trying to reword it and avoid the word "rats" and she keeps trying different sentences but is stopped every time, rodent doesn't really sound better and so she looks at me a little frustrated and says "Isn't there another name for them?!"

I laughed and told her I personally like the sound of Norwegian Whip-tail Squirrel and she came up with a couple more creative variations. Ultimately we decided to put "9 small caged pets". As she pointed out, why should they care what they are if they are in a cage anyway?


0 Responses to “A rat by any other name...”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


about me

  • I'm eileen2000
  • Portland, OR, United States
  • My profile

 

archives

blogs and webcams

organizations and forums

find a rat

health and care

history and folklore

 

subscribe:
ATOM 0.3