Owning rats, or as some say, being owned by rats, is a journey. For me it began with being intensely rat-phobic to where I am now, rat-obsessed (ok, i admit it).

 




3GR Bon-Bon 9-7-04 to 6-13-05


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I never really paid tribute to Bon yet.

The little pic is her baby pic and she truly did look like a fat little bon-bon. I never had an adult picture of her but I believe the picture with the dark blue background is very close to how she looked. She was quite a beautiful rat with a tail that was patterned like shifting sand.

Here is something I wrote shortly after she died.

In the little rat kingdom she was Queen. Penelope was her Merlin secretly running things and Dinky, the little Court Jester.

The humans were giant, but benevolent ogres. She had a special fondness for the one called John and even as weak as she was, she still boggled and bruxed when he petted her and fell asleep with him for one final nap. She was fond of me, too, in her way, and every once in awhile she would climb up on my chest and cautiously look me in the eyes like she was trying to bridge the interspecies communication gap.

Always somewhat grumpy, but never mean. A real rat's rat. She liked to be near her humans, but at arm's length. She would come to you when SHE wanted to be petted. She loved being scritched then for long periods of time and would wag her tail and close her eyes in bliss.

She loved her food and until the very last day nothing would keep her away from her Belgian chocolate pudding.

I will miss you my little curmudgeon. I'm glad you are at peace now and Queen of your new surroundings.

Labels: ,


6 Responses to “3GR Bon-Bon 9-7-04 to 6-13-05”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    sooo beautiful

  2. Blogger eileen2000 

    thank you. I learn so much from each rat. John, my husband, says that this is the silver lining (for us) of ratties' short lifespans. That we get to meet so many interesting rattie personalities. Many more times what you have the opportunity to experience with longer-lived types of pets.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    That's a great way of looking at it. I've only been keeping rats for 2 years and I'm finding it so hard to deal with the short lifespans ~ I lost one boy at 18 months, and one at 25 months, it's so tough :(

  4. Blogger eileen2000 

    I think that's why so many rat people are members of online lists. You really need the support of other ratlovers who understand the devastation you feel when you lose your little friends.

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Oh Eileen... This was beautiful! The rat breeder/lover who I adopted my girls from forwarded me your blog, and I am grateful. I lost my Yubee and Zippee last year and I still hurt from that loss, wild free spirited girls! Digger and Helix now share my life, and I theirs. Thank you for sharing your story in such a beautiful way, it made me cry...but it feels good to know that others understand! Thank you!

  6. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad I could help a little with your healing. I think without other rat lovers I might not be able to withstand the pain when they leave. Just having someone who understands helps alot.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


about me

  • I'm eileen2000
  • Portland, OR, United States
  • My profile

 

archives

blogs and webcams

organizations and forums

find a rat

health and care

history and folklore

 

subscribe:
ATOM 0.3